Ration Card – Applicability, Eligibility & E-ration
Ration card is an official document that can be used as an identity proof, and its primary purpose is to provide people with food grains and other ration at subsidized rates. The Public Distribution System provides these subsidized rates under the National Food Security act. It serves as a common form of identification for all Indian citizens. Ration cards are issued by the state government only to those families who fulfill the eligibility criteria. Under the national food security act, the government identifies the households according to the annual income and number of members in the family. Before the NFSA was declared, there were three types of ration cards.
TYPES OF RATION CARDS
- Above poverty line(APL) ration cards – there were nearly 28 lakh APL cardholders in Delhi. Above Poverty Line refers to people with yearly income above Rs 1 lakh, which is estimated and updated by the planning commission. White color cards are issued to these families. These households received 15 kilograms of food grains, but one thing to be noted is that this criterion can be changed based on availability.
- Below Poverty Line(BPL) ration cards- Families living below the poverty line, below approx.Rs 24000 have been identified under this category.
- Antyodya Anna Yojana(AAY)- under this category, households with a disabled adult and no stable means of income, landless laborers, marginal farmers, widows are covered under this scheme.
- Annapurna Yojana (AY)- Under this scheme, impoverished people with no means to provide for themselves and are over 65 years of age, having absolutely no source of income and ALSO are not availing the Old age pension can avail around 10 kgs( can vary on state government and availability) free of cost every month.
Another important question is the DOCUMENTS REQUIRED for filling the application form:
- Identity proof- AADHAR card, voter identity card
- Income certificate
- Current residence proof along with electricity bill or bank passbook
- Photograph of family members
- Completed and signed application form
- Land revenue tax receipt or rent paid receipt.
The applicant is also required to pay a basic minimum fee along with the application form. Once the application is submitted after successfully filling the form at the ration office, the officer checks the details and is further sent for physical verification. The officer in charge investigates and verifies the details, after which the ration card is created and delivered at the individual’s residence.
In case of any false information provided in the application form, the individual is liable to be punished by the law; hence the details should be filled very carefully.
ONLINE RATION CARD
e-ration cards can be obtained after filling up application forms and uploading the documents on the official website of the particular state.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR PERMANENT RATION CARD
- One should be an Indian citizen
- should not be holding any previous ration card
- Needs to have income proof for applying
- Should not have ration card in any other state
To avail the benefits of different governmental schemes on subsidized rates, it’s essential to have a ration card issued.