- 0.1 1. Make sure the battery is well-ventilated.
- 0.2 2. Discharge and recharge the battery every month.
- 0.3 3. Check the battery water level once every two months.
- 0.4 4. Do not use tap water
- 0.5 5. Keep the battery clean
- 0.6 6. Keep the battery terminals free from rust and corrosion
- 0.7 7. Clean the battery using appropriate cleaners.
- 0.8 8. Do not keep anything on the battery.
- 0.9 9. Do not store your battery in an area where kids or pets can easily reach.
- 1 Bottom Line
An inverter battery is one of the most important components of a home inverter. In fact, it won’t be wrong to say that it is the backbone of a home UPS inverter. Therefore, it is important to ensure regular maintenance and care of the battery, just like any other home appliance or device. On that note, in this post we discuss some of the dos and don’ts of battery maintenance for an effective operation and longer life.
1. Make sure the battery is well-ventilated.
Always store the battery in a well ventilated space. That’s because an inverter battery gets heated when in operation. Storing the battery in an airy space helps reduce the heating and also helps reduce the frequent requirement of water top-ups.
2. Discharge and recharge the battery every month.
If you don’t experience power cuts in your area, and the battery is not used much on a regular basis, make sure you discharge the inverter battery completely and recharge it, at least once in every two to three months.
3. Check the battery water level once every two months.
Most inverter batteries go bad because of low water levels. To keep your batteries up and running consistently and to ensure their longevity, make sure you check the water level is maintained.
4. Do not use tap water
Tap water contains excess minerals and impurities that can damage an inverter battery. It is, therefore, advisable to top-up the battery using distilled water which affects the life and performance of the battery. Always top up the battery with distilled water.
5. Keep the battery clean
It is important to keep the surface and sides of the battery clean and dust free. It helps prevent issues such as overheating. You can use cotton cloth to clean the inverter battery surfaces.
6. Keep the battery terminals free from rust and corrosion
Rust and corrosion are a battery’s biggest enemies. Regularly check your battery terminals for rust and corrosion. Make sure you don’t let the rust or your corrosion on the battery terminals for long.
7. Clean the battery using appropriate cleaners.
If the battery terminals are corroded, use hot water + baking soda solution to clean it. Pour the solution on the corrosive area and clean with the help of a soft toothbrush. This will help remove the corrosion. Once the terminals are clean and are corrosion free, apply some petroleum jelly or Vaseline on the terminals, nuts and bolts to avoid rust and corrosion in future.
8. Do not keep anything on the battery.
It is extremely important to ensure that the battery vents are not blocked. Make sure they are dust free and open. That’s because blocked vents can lead to accumulation of hydrogen gas, which in turn might lead to bursting of the inverter battery.
9. Do not store your battery in an area where kids or pets can easily reach.
To ensure safety of your children and pets, install the inverter battery in a place that is out of the reach of your children and pets. And as we already mentioned earlier, make sure that it is kept in an airy and properly ventilated area.
Follow the above mentioned tips if you want to ensure a long and breakdown free life of your inverter battery. And in case you are looking for a new battery or want to replace an old one then check out the wide range of inverter batteries from Luminous India. The company manufactures superior quality products and has 70 million plus satisfied customers which in itself speaks volumes about the trust people have in their products.