Diabetes is steadily spreading among the masses all over the world. It can turn fatal by leading to several other ailments that badly damage the heart, kidneys, liver, nerves, and even the brain of affected people. Therefore, it is essential to ward off the risk of diabetes at an early stage. You may not feel any symptoms of this disease until the blood sugar level rises very high. So, it is best to undergo blood sugar tests at regular intervals and compare the test results with the sugar normal range that is available online.
The main factors that cause diabetes
There are many myths regarding the causes of diabetes. Previously, people thought that the overconsumption of sweets was the sole reason for diabetes. However, many other causes have now been unearthed by specialist doctors and research scholars working in this field of medical science. You can have a look into the following risk factors if you want to know what are the causes of diabetes.
- Very low production of insulin from the pancreas due to injury or infection
- Body cells do not make use of insulin for lowering the glucose level in the blood
- Presence of Type1 diabetes among close family members
- The negative side effect of surgery or any severe ailment
- Overweight body with thick fat layers on body organs
- Age above 45 years with obesity and heredity as cofactors
- Consistent high blood pressure
- High level of triglyceride and low level of good cholesterol or HDL (high-density lipoprotein)
- Previous medical history of cerebral stroke or heart attack
- Physical inactiveness for a long time at a stretch
- The habit of chain smoking
- Pregnancy causing gestational diabetes
Normal blood sugar range for different age groups
You need to check your blood sugar level quite often, particularly after the age of 45. If you have a family history of diabetes, you should undergo blood sugar tests at regular intervals after you are 25 years old. Now, you can check your blood sugar level at home with the help of a glucometer. However, you need to know the sugar normal range to check whether your blood sugar level indicates a possibly risky condition of prediabetes or diabetes. The normalcy of blood sugar levels may differ according to age groups.
- Toddlers up to 6 years old have a normal blood sugar level of 110 – 200 mg/dl.
- Kids between the ages of 6 – 12 years have a blood sugar range of 100 – 180 mg/dl.
- Adolescents between the ages of 12 – 19 years have a normal blood sugar level of 90 – 130 mg/dl.
- Adults have a normal blood sugar level of 90 – 130 mg/dl, which may also vary due to other factors.
Normal blood sugar levels depending on different factors
Your blood sugar level will normally go up after a meal. This is the reason why blood sugar tests are recommended either in a fasting state or two hours after having a meal. There is a large difference in your sugar normal range before and after a meal. Hence, your blood sugar may be high during bedtime, depending on the time gap between your dinner and the time you go to bed. Thus, you need to consult your doctor about the best time to check your blood sugar level with a glucometer. The following are the normal blood sugar levels of an adult at different times –
- The blood sugar level before a meal: 70 – 130 mg/dl
- The blood sugar level after a meal: Below 180 mg/dl
- The blood sugar level while going to bed: 90 – 150 mg/dl
How can you keep your blood sugar levels in control?
If you find that your blood sugar level has risen higher than the normal range, you need to be alert about it and consult a doctor. First of all, you should analyze what are the causes of diabetes and which one applies to your case. Your doctor may help in pinpointing the exact cause of the increase in your blood sugar level. The following are the possible steps that may aid in decreasing your blood sugar –
- Follow your diet plan as recommended by your doctor or dietician.
- Keep a check on your cravings for foods, mainly sugar and carbohydrate-rich food items.
- Take your prescribed medications and insulin injections diligently.
- If you need to take medicines for other ailments, you should consult your doctor.
- Keep your insulin files safe from extreme heat or cold.
- Be sure of taking the correct doses of insulin every day.
- Be more physically active at home or the workplace.
- Check your blood sugar level at regular intervals and if needed, daily.
- Check your body weight in a weighing machine regularly.
- Quit smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages.
- Keep yourself stress free as much as possible.
You can request the help of your healthcare provider to take the insulin injection if it causes you pain. If your blood sugar level remains high consistently despite all your efforts, you should consult your doctor and may need to undergo further tests to make an accurate diagnosis of your diabetes.
Therefore, you need not worry about diabetes too much, as your mental stress can further boost your blood sugar level. When you find out what are the causes of diabetes, it is quite easy to control your blood sugar level. Regular checkups and blood sugar tests will help you to lead a healthy life. You only need to bring a few positive changes in your lifestyle and food habits to ward off this ailment. A diabetes specialist doctor will guide you in all aspects to lower your blood sugar level and avoid diabetes for a long time in your life.